Monday 18 January 2016

Using Maya


In my first Maya I was taught the basics and walked through making a simple desk lamp. Clearly from the image above I didn't get everything right, specifically the lampshade as I didn't get the extruding right and it left a cavity inside it with no faces on it. I was initially surprised as I expected Maya to be more like Zbrush in how making shapes would work, however Maya is clearly more suited to minute and specific detail in relation to rendering. Zbrush is for sculpting in fine detail for the highest visual fidelity whereas Maya is geared for making the most efficient meshes and all the tools in it aid in that.

For my next lamp I decided to do a traditional table lamp with cable switch. The main body of the lamp was fairly simple and I just made it by extruding cylinders upwards. The shade was a bit more complex especially the inside frame and at this stage I am yet to add an interior face to the shade as the negative of the outside face is left visible. The most difficult feature was the cable. I was unsure how to make it so I extruded cylinders at different angles to mimic a flexible cable however I realize that this is an impractical way to do it as it takes too much time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment